Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Robb Flynn Performs An Acoustic Set At The Tony La Russa ARF Benefit & Is Considering An Acoustic Solo Project/Tour!

On Saturday, January 5th, 2013, MACHINE HEAD's "General" Robb Flynn performed an acoustic set at the Tony La Russa (yes, the baseball legend) "Stars To The Rescue XXII" benefit event. By now we are all familiar with Flynn's acoustic work thanks to songs like "Darkness Within" (part of 'Unto The Locust') and "Die Young" (BLACK SABBATH cover in honor of Debbie Abono and Ronnie James Dio).

But what makes this story unique is how Flynn connected with La Russa. Flynn has posted the story on MACHINE HEAD's official site. A few excerpts follow, followed by video footage of Flynn's acoustic set.

"Life has a funny way of playing out, how seemingly innocuous encounters can take you to places you never thought you'd go.

"Flash back to about a year and a half ago... I'm walking through Whole Foods in Walnut Creek talking on the phone to my friend Tom when a lady and her daughter approach me wide-eyed. "Are you fucking Robb Flynn?!" ... “I could be..." They scream with delight and make a big ol' to-do, "oh my god, we’re huge fans, I love ‘The Blackening’, I'm Tony La Russa's wife!" I'm tripped out, they're both super nice, we take pictures, my friend is laughing his ass off, more about the fact that I was swarmed in a freakin’ Whole Foods than anything else. So, last February we headline The Warfield in San Francisco, and after the show, who walks in but Elaine, Devon and Tony La Russa. A bunch of my Chicago buddies are there and lose their minds, and hilariously begin sneakin' pictures with him while he's talking to someone else by "leaning in" and snapping a quick pic (which became the legend known as "The La Russa Lean"). My baseball fanatic Dad FREAKS OUT, and Tony L blows my mind when he tells me that I "have so much charisma, he wishes he could bottle it and make his players drink it". WOW!!?? I'm not worthy! We strike up a conversation and I mention that we got our dog Shady from the Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) in Walnut Creek that he started almost 25 years ago, and he's really stoked about that. He takes down my number and texts me the next day thanking me for the hospitality and for the great show. We've stayed in touch randomly over the last year.

"Two days after Christmas I get a voicemail from Tony, he's doing his 22nd annual benefit to raise money for ARF, he wants to invite my wife and I down to both nights, and wants to know if I'd like to come hang out, or even jam a song, and if not, just enjoy the show. The first night is Comedy Night with Dana Carvey, Kevin Pollak, Rob Schneider and John Wing, the second night features some Broadway performers, Rich Hebert (the main star of the Broadway renditions of Les Miserables, Billy Elliot and Saturday Night Fever), The Tommy Igoe Big Band, Jeff Scott Soto (of Yngwie Malmsteen / Trans Siberian Orchestra fame!) jammin’ some Queen tunes, a Robin Williams comedy set, and Tony fucking Orlando!! JESUS!? How do you say no? I get back to him on New Year’s Eve and and say yeah, and if he's up for it, I can maybe jam a couple of acoustic songs. He's down." Read the full post HERE!




So Flynn obviously has the chops to record some badass acoustic music, and now we know that he can perform acoustically as well. Imagine an acoustic solo project and tour with Flynn and friends? We asked Flynn via Twitter what his plans are regarding an acoustic project and this is what he replied:


Recently, MACHINE HEAD released 'Machine Fucking Head Live' via Roadrunner Records (Pick it up HERE!). It's Machine Head's second live effort; 'Hellalive' was released in 2003. Nine years have passed and Machine Head still slay and administer a "Bay Area Beatdown" in the live realm. Full details HERE!

Related links:
MACHINE HEAD's Official Site

No comments: